Friday 23 September 2011

Hargreaves Bashes United Medical Staff

After a successful City debut, Owen Hargreaves couldn't help but criticize his former club's medical staff, shortly after scoring his first goal in over 3 years. United had treated and stuck with the Canadian-born, English international through a series of horrid injuries lasting almost 3 years. Hargreaves paid the club back by questioning the level of professionalism regarding United's medical staff, in terms of treating the injuries he so often encountered. He also claimed that Sir Alex urged him to make his comeback against Wolves too soon (a comeback that lasted 5 minutes before another injury), as he claimed he expressed he wasn't ready.

Hargreaves explained "I started that game with two muscle injuries but I should never have been in that position to begin with. I was just going to try to get through 45 minutes because that would have been a start. But I didn't last five. I wasn't surprised." He continued "I'd said to them that I had a hamstring problem, which I obviously did. I said: 'I think I've got a bit of a problem here.' I was surprised it didn't go in the warm-up, to be completely honest."He then expressed his opinion once again regarding United's medical staff in comparison to his new start at City, "But this is a new chapter in my life. The guys here (City's medical staff) have been great so far. I've been here three weeks and you can already see the difference. I knew it was all there. It was just a matter of doing things right."

I don't understand why the moment athletes leave their former clubs, they instantly turn around and try to bash them like never before. It's unfortunate that Hargreaves went about his business this way; as he could have simply expressed gratitude to the club that gave him the opportunity to win a Premier League title as well as a Champions League crown before sticking with the player through a 3 year injury hiatus. Regardless of what happened, the moment the player gained any bit of success, he had to come around and throw it in the face of his former club, manager and medical staff.